Monday, May 18, 2009

The yummiest pudding


Wednesday was my husband’s birthday. I normally make him a cake, but this year with one thing and another I didn’t – he did say he didn’t want one, but that is no excuse! He also wanted me to cook his favourite meal rather than go out for dinner, so we had nibbles of smoked mussels with fabulous bread and oil, a main of pork fillet with a roast vegetable salad of kumara, red onions, carrots and baby spinach, with roasted apples and pudding was his favourite apple crumble.



I wanted to make the apple crumble a little bit special, and a while ago I found this Rachel Allen recipe for toffee, apple and almond crumble. You make a caramel sauce which you mix in with the apples, then top with a buttery, almondy crumble topping. Absolutely delicious. I love apple crumble too – but I like the crumble far more than the apple part, not being a huge lover of stewed fruit! Caramel sauce was a great addition too. The last time I made fruit crumble, I followed Annabel Langbein’s advice to make double the crumble mixture and freeze half for another time. But I ended up throwing the frozen half out, as I couldn’t stop myself from going to the freezer and eating the frozen, raw crumble mixture.

This toffee apple pudding is possible one of the most delicious puddings I have ever tasted. I really do recommend it. We had it with yoghurt which was fabulous. Cream would also be good. You can find the recipe for the toffee apple crumble here.

4 comments:

Elyse said...

Happy birthday to your hubby!! I'm sure he totally enjoyed his fabulous-sounding dinner. And that pudding sounds AMAZING. Sorry that I’ve been an absent commenter; I just finished up my law school exams and am finally getting around to my google reader.

Cakelaw said...

Your husband is a lucky guy! Hope he had an amazing birthday.

Lia "training education" Scott said...

both of you are so lucky having a wife so caring and loving..:) For sure your husband loved your pudding

Amanda said...

The crumble sounds delicious. I'm going to try making it this afternoon as I think with the dreary weather here in Wellington a little treat would be nice!