Friday, May 1, 2009

Thursday night Frittata


Thursday night dinners are usually an easy meal for us – more often than not something like pasta or a frittata using up leftover bits in the fridge. I know that a true Italian frittata is a delicate egg concoction cooked on the stove top and finished in the oven, but frittata is the best word I know to describe the more robust egg dish I make.

Last night was a frittata night. I usually make my frittatas but placing all the vegetable, meat and cheese components of my frittata in the bottom of my oiled dish, then topping with 6 eggs beaten with a little milk and baking at 200c for 20-25 minutes until set. Last night I very loosely based my frittata on one that was in Dish magazine a while back. I softened a sliced red onion and some garlic and then added to that some grated potato, cooking this mixture slowly for about 10 minutes until the potato was mostly cooked through and a little crispy. I then put that in my baking dish, topped it with strips of roasted red peppers, stoned black olives, a chopped tomato, a jar of drained, chargrilled artichokes and chunks of feta. I then poured over 4 eggs beaten with 1/3 c milk and ½ c grated parmesan and baked for 20 minutes.

The frittata was delicious. We had it with some of my home made red pepper sauce and a glass of Sauvignon blanc. The perfect Thursday night dinner.

By the way, my husband loved the cookie carnival lemon slice!! And the piece I tasted last night did taste better than it did when it was first made - maybe it improves with age?

2 comments:

Leslie said...

This is a wonderful use of leftovers and sounds like it's easy to boot! Very appealing for a busy weeknight!

Elyse said...

Mmm, this frittata sounds delicious!! I'm going to have to institute a frittata tradition in my household. It's a great way to use up all of those yummy leftovers that wouldn't otherwise get used. Great idea! Thanks for the inspiration.