Tuesday, May 12, 2009

TWD - Tartest Lemon Tart


This week’s TWD recipe was chosen by Babette of Babette Feasts and is tartest lemon tart. This tart is amazing! It is probably the best lemon tart I think I have ever made. You use a whole lemon which gives the most amazing lemony flavour, hence the name, tartest lemon tart! I made only 1/3 of the recipe which made three 8cm tartlets.

The shortcrust pastry was Dorie’s shortcrust pastry with nuts. I used ground macadamia nuts for my pastry. This worked in well with the lemon filling. I rolled out enough dough to line my three tart tins and then wrapped the rest well and froze it for another day. I have become a bit lazy lately with baking blind. Partly because my baking beans are still packed away somewhere and I truly have no idea where they are! So instead of baking blind, I pricked my pastry with a fork and then froze it before baking. I think doing this does help the pastry not to rise up, which is one of the reasons for baking blind.

The lemon filling is a delicious mixture of whole lemon, egg, sugar and cream whizzed up in a food processor. While I have made cakes and muffins where you use a whole orange, this was the first time I had used a whole lemon in a recipe. It was great because often I find lemon puddings not quite lemony enough for my tastes. But this was perfect.

I served the tarts with natural yoghurt, but I actually think they would have been nicer with sweetened whipped cream, as the tartness of the tart, would really be able to take the sweetness. But, my verdict (and that of my husband’s) is great tart – would definitely make again!

See how the other TWDers did here.

15 comments:

Cakelaw said...

Your tart looks fabulous Tammy! Perfect with natural yoghurt.

Unknown said...

So pretty! Your tart looks wonderful. I'm glad you liked it. I've baked mine but not tasted it yet and I'm really looking forward to it!

Anonymous said...

YUM! It looks perfect.

Mermaid Sews said...

Looks great, I can't wait to make these - planning to do mini tarts too, nice getting to preview yours first!

Amanda said...

Fabulous! I made mine today and while it was a wee bit tart for me, my mother in law LOVED it! :)

Jacque said...

Mmm, yours is cute and perfect! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

Wonderfully done - looks delicious.

Babette said...

Very pretty just like that. Glad you liked the pick.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

so pretty! and i love the idea of macadamias in the crust!

Hindy said...

Mmm. Macadamia nut crust. Wow! Glad yours turned out so well!

Teanna said...

Mmmm macadamia nuts in the crust! That sounds perfect! It looks great!

Di said...

I really like the idea of eating this with yogurt (or some other dairy). That would make for a nice contrast.

♥Rosie♥ said...

Beautiful lemon tart Tammy.

Rosie x

Anonymous said...

Wow, I clicked on your photo and the upclose shot of your tart is amazing! I want a bite!

TeaLady said...

It was a good tart lemony tart. And yours looks lovely. I, too, will make again.