Tuesday, May 5, 2009

TWD - Tiramisu Cake


This week’s TWD recipe was chosen by Megan of My Baking Adventures and is Tiramisu cake. The cake is a two layer cake, each layer being soaked in a coffee syrup and then joined together and topped with mascarpone mixed with whipped cream. And, if that’s not decadent enough, there is a layer of chopped chocolate between the two sponge layers.

Tiramisu is not my favourite dessert – I don’t like coffee. This cake had some great qualities though! Firstly, the cake itself made a perfect little cake (I halved the recipe and used my 6inch round tin). I made the cake on Sunday and filled it last night. It was a lovely cake – sponge like, but solid enough to take a robust filling. I didn’t put the alcohol into my syrup (Dorie recommended using kahlua, brandy or similar), mainly because we now live in a 3 level house and the alcohol is all on the lower level and I was too lazy to run down the stairs (I’m not usually this lazy – I went for a 9km run this morning!). I also didn’t want an over bearing alcohol flavour – I put too much brandy in the Christmas trifle and no-one would eat it except me. I loved the chopped chocolate in the middle.



Dorie suggested decorating the cake with chocolate coated coffee beans. I was putting the cake together last night at about 9.30 for my in-laws to have a piece with their supper and wasn’t feeling overly inspired to decorate the top, so I left it nude. But I bet lots of the other TWDers made their cakes look gorgeous – check them out here.

17 comments:

Marthe said...

Your cake looks delicious! I actually made cupcakes and absolutely loved it!

Elyse said...

This cake looks gorgeous to me!! I'm going to have to pull out my Baking from My Home book to make this. Looks sooo darn good. I can't wait to get myself a slice of this!

Leslie said...

I love all of the frosting on yours, Tammy. I left the alcohol out of mine, too, and it was great! Marthe has a couple of ideas for different flavors in her post.

Megan said...

Aww - sorry coffee isn't on your favorites list - but I agree that the cake was perfect by itself.

Cakelaw said...

LOL - a nude cake! It looks terrific, and I agree - there's nothing like a robust sponge when dealing with syrup and heavy filling. 9km - OMG! (I can't run for the bus across the road.

Engineer Baker said...

Oh that looks lovely! I really like that you didn't frost the sides - more tiramisu-like :)

steph- whisk/spoon said...

mmm...great! nice, high cake layers! a 9 km run is what you need before a big piece of cake!

Amanda said...

Looks delicious! I LOVED this cake, it's one of my favorite TWD recipes!

Amanda said...

Oh stop by and see my interview with Dorie!

Anonymous said...

Your cake looks wonderful. I love the fluffy topping.

~Kimberly said...

I think anything Tiramisu looks delicious! Yours especially!

Teanna said...

What is wrong with too much brandy in the trifle? :) The cake looks great!

chocolatechic said...

I don't like coffee either, but your cake looks fabulous.

Angela@spinachtiger said...

Oh, well, naked can be good too. LOL.

Hindy said...

Naked, but for a huge dollop of cream on top. Tantalizing! Glad you enjoyed.

TeaLady said...

Your cake is lovely. Glad everyone enjoyed it.

Mermaid Sews said...

I think your cake looks divine.