Tuesday, May 19, 2009

TWD - Fresh Mango Bread


This week’s TWD is fresh mango bread and was chosen by Kelly from Baking with the Boys. I must confess that I didn’t used fresh mango, but used canned instead. I don’t seem to have a lot of success with buying mangos – they are often bruised and I don’t seem to be able to get enough flesh off the stone, so canned often does the trick for me.

The mango bread is a sweet loaf. I halved the recipe and made 8 mini loaves. I actually found the batter quite stiff and I did add some of the juice from the can of mangos to loosen up the mixture – maybe that is why mine were more loaf like than bread like? The loaves were spiced with a little ground ginger and cinnamon. Not too spicy, just a gentle hint of spiciness in the background. The verdict? Nice, I guess – not earth shatteringly delicious, but very nice. I ate one of the loaves last night and the rest are in the freezer for my husband’s lunches.

See what the other TWDers thought here.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your mango bread looks good. I think it is supposed to be more like banana bread than bread bread, if that makes sense.

The Food Librarian said...

Looks great. I hope you get to try it again with fresh mangos when they are in season.

Engineer Baker said...

Canned mangoes? That would have taken so much pressing and smelling and guessing out of the equation :) It looks wonderful - the perfect breakfast, imo.

Cakelaw said...

Looks yummy Tammy.

Amanda said...

It was way better the next day :) and the day after that!

Jules Someone said...

Yours looks good. I didn't love it. Ah well.

Elyse said...

I can settle for "nice" sometimes. Nice works for a tea time treat, for sure. Plus, this mango bread has the perk of looking super cute :)

Marthe said...

I must say this was an amazing mango bread! Yours looks delish!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

mine was loaf like, too, and i liked it a lot. it froze nicely, so i'm sure your husband will be really enjoying your yummy bread for lunch!

Teanna said...

The mango bread looks GREAT! I LOVED this recipe!!! I hope your hubby enjoys them with lunch!

Mermaid Sews said...

Your mango bread looks great, I never got to see the inside. Happy belated birthday to your husband.

Jessie "a4 printers" Collin said...

A gift of cooking talent.. i love mangoes. i really do

Amy of Sing For Your Supper said...

Looks great! I wish I could get my hands on some canned mangoes...I had to chop them myself - what a pain!

-Amy
www.singforyoursupperblog.com

chocolatechic said...

I should have gone with tinned mango or frozen.

My cutting up the mango was a disaster.

Leslie said...

These look delicious, Tammy. I did battle with the slithery mango creature and now need to hose down the kitchen. But it was worth it!

Shari said...

The little loaves are a good way to go. Yours looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

Your mango bread looks nice and moist! That's a lot of mini-loaves with half a recipe. I love this bread even though the mango flavor wasn't pronounced.

TeaLady said...

Bread looks yummy! I didn't know you could buy canned mango. I liked the spicy loaf. Good basic and I added fresh diced ginger.