Thursday, November 22, 2007

chocolate pecan slice


One of my naughty sneaky treats when there is nothing else sweet in the house is to dip a teaspoon into the condensed milk tin, sprinkle a couple of chocolate chips on top and eat it! You are probably thinking yuck! But I love the taste of condensed milk and chocolate together. So when I saw that you can now by chocolate flavoured condensed milk I had to buy it!!

I wasn’t quite sure what to do with it though and it has been sitting in the pantry for a while. But a few months ago I cut out a recipe from Taste magazine for a slice that used the chocolate condensed milk. I made it last night. The base is a simple butter, sugar, egg, vanilla and flour mix and the topping is simply the tin of condensed milk melted together with some milk chocolate. I dotted the top with pecans. At first I thought that the base was too cakey, but after my second piece(!) it is really yummy! Best kept in the fridge and eaten cold from there.

By the way I have posted before about the good vanilla that I use and that I also keep some cheaper stuff for baking for home. Well, Hansells have brought out a new vanilla that is obviously not as good quality as the real stuff (the price is too cheap for that!) but that has vanilla seeds in it and is pretty jolly good!! I bought some in the weekend (it is about $6) and used it in the slice base last night. I would use it again for recipes where the vanilla flavour is not too pronounced – it is not as good as the good stuff but is miles and miles ahead of any “imitation vanilla essence”.

Chocolate pecan slice

125g butter melted
½ c brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 ½ c flour
1 tsp b powder

· Mix all ingredients together, press into a 27 x 18cm slice tin
· Bake at 180deg for 10 minutes

1 x 395g tin chocolate condensed milk
1 c chopped milk chocolate

Melt these ingredients together, pour over partially booked base and top with chopped nuts (I used pecans). Bake for a further 20 minutes at 180 deg

No comments: