Tuesday, October 16, 2007

spring cupcakes


Just about the only flowers left in our garden after my husband did a big clean up in the weekend, was a small bunch of violets. They were too cute not to use for something, so I crystallised them with egg white and sugar and used them as the decoration on these cupcakes.
For the cakes I used the recipe for Victorian sponge from the Peggy Porschen book. Last year I had bought some violet syrup at the Hastings farmers market and so used some of this to flavour the cakes.


The flavouring isn’t very strong though and they do taste pretty plain, but a delicious plain – very light and melting in your mouth. The icing went a bit more vivid than I intended, but the effect is quite cute with the little purple cupcake wrappers. I took these into work for morning tea.




Dinner last night was pork scallopine (havoc pork of course!) filled with cheese and asparagus served with polenta and parmesan potato wedges (both recipes from Dish magazine) and extra roast asparagus on the side. I made a sauce to go with it using Cyclops natural yoghurt instead of the crème fraiche specified in the recipe, wholegrain mustard and lemon juice. To make the pork scallopine I used pork schnitzel, sprinkled with grated cheese and then wrapped around a spear of asparagus. I only had a small bite of the pork but it was a surprisingly quick week day dinner meal and very tasty.

No comments: