Wednesday, October 24, 2007

a basket of wee treats



One of my Mum’s best friends, Lenore, had a special birthday this week and Mum asked me if I would mind doing a basket of “wee treats” for her. I used to do gift baskets quite frequently, so it was quite exciting to put one together again. I am a prolific jam and relish maker, so always have quite a bit on stock. For Lenore I selected blueberry and apple jam and rosewater and almond marmalade. Then I did some baking.

One of my specialties has always been chocolate truffles – secret recipe! So I made some baileys and milk chocolate truffles, dipped in deliciously rich dark chocolate. Other combinations I have made include: white chocolate and baileys, white chocolate and rose, white chocolate and cassis and dark chocolate and rum, but the baileys truffles always seem to be the most popular.


The next item in the gift basket was parmesan biscuits. I love these and they are so easy to make (recipe is below). The texture of these biscuits is divine – quite short and crumbly and almost melt in the mouth which is pretty impressive for a savoury biscuit! They are great on a cheese board, delicious with blue cheese and quince paste and have that savoury appeal that makes you want to eat more and more of them! I sometimes make them and freeze half the mixture into a log and keep it in the freezer. You can then slice and bake them from frozen and they only take about 12 minutes to cook.


And last but not least, these little tea cup and tea pot biscuits. I must say, I was so delighted with how these turned out!!! My icing is still not perfect, but I think it is getting better. I was so pleased with these, I couldn’t stop looking at them! I hope that Lenore loves them too.

This is the card I made her to go with the gift basket.


PARMESAN BISCUITS
Adapted from Maire Claire Food & Drink


125g butter
½ c grated cheddar cheese
½ c grated parmesan cheese
150g flour
1 tsp smoked paprika
¼ tsp salt

· Pulse all ingredients in food processor until the mixture starts to come together
· Tip onto bench and roll into a log. Wrap in glad wrap and chill for about 30 minutes
· Slice into biscuits and bake at 180deg for about 12-14 minutes
. Cool on trays

No comments: