Tuesday, October 12, 2010

TWD - Fold Over Pear Torte


This week’s TWD recipe was chosen by my good blogging friend Gaye of Laws of the Kitchen. I was interested to see what Gaye would pick and she chose the Fold Over Pear Torte. Gaye said she chose it because there is no photo in the book and she was curious as to what it would look like. Reading through the recipe I must say it wasn’t one that I would pick first, but once it was made, it was so delicious I would definitely make it again!

I ended up making this torte on Sunday afternoon. As it would be just my husband and me eating it, I quartered the recipe and made it in a little 10cm round cake tin. Because of the size of my tin and the amount of pastry I had, my torte ended up looking like a pie. The crust is Dorie’s good for anything pie crust and it is delicious. In this case it was used to line a spring form tin and then was filled with a mixture of chopped pears, dried apricots and walnuts – I subbed flaked almonds for the walnuts. The fruit was then topped with a custard flavoured with vanilla and almond essence, the pie crust folded over the top and the torte baked.

We ate the torte warm out of the oven. It would have been wonderful with whipped cream, but we ate it with no accompaniment as we did the dishes after we put Harry to bed. Yum! Thanks Gaye for choosing something I may not have otherwise made! See what the other TWDers thought here.

11 comments:

Hindy said...

I agree that this one was a surprising delight. Yours looks great!

Cakelaw said...

Yay! Yours turned out great, and I am glad it was a surprise hit.

Mary said...

Yours looks great with the chunky pears! Mine wasn't tall enough, like me, but we liked it very much.

Judy said...

Your torte looks delicious. I gave half of mine away so I wouldn't eat it all.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

I could sit down and eat that, in ten minutes. It looks beautiful.

natalia said...

Ciao Tammy ! Great looking mini delight !

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Hehe that's actually a clever idea trying a recipe because there isn't a pic! I usually only go for the ones with pictures :P

Flourchild said...

Yum your tart is lovely. It looks a lot better then mine!!

Tia said...

nice height! looks more professional than mine does lol.

TeaLady said...

looks just perfect. And it was soooo good.

Brittany said...

Tammy, this pear tart looks gorgeous AND delicious! Thanks for sharing the pear love! We're happy you (and Dorie) love pears. If you ever need more ins-pear-ation, visit our site at www.usapears.org.

Happy baking!
Your friends at USA Pears