Friday, October 1, 2010

French Fridays - Gougeres


Today is the first day of a new challenge called French Fridays with Dorie and I, with a large number of others round the world (including my sister who I have convinced to participate) will be cooking our way through Dorie Greenspan’s latest book, At my French Table. Each week a new recipe will be selected and I will be cooking it and blogging about it on Fridays. The book is a beautiful book and full of lots of lovely recipes that I cant wait to cook.

The first month’s recipes have been chosen by Dorie herself and today’s recipe is Gougeres, the first recipe in the book. Gougeres are light, savoury choux pastries. They are made using the choux pastry method of boiling butter and water, adding flour and cooking the paste, then beating in eggs and in this case, finally cheese. My sister is staying with us at the moment and we made these together on Wednesday night. They are delicious warm from the oven and would be the perfect thing to have as a pre-dinner nibble with drinks. Hayley and I finished them just before bed time and we ate a couple each and then I popped the rest in the freezer. I will re-heat them in the oven another time when we have people over for drinks.

See what the other FF participants thought of gougeres here.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy, I am also participating in FFWD and love this recipe. Isn't it delicious? And it freezes excellently. Yours look so delicious. Great job! Angie

Cakelaw said...

Yours look great! Mine didn't puff.

slush said...

They look perfect Tammy! I am so glad you jumped on this new adventure with us! (and brought your sister along too!)

Lisa said...

Those look so golden and puffy.

Hindy said...

Your gougeres look delicious!

Anonymous said...

They look delicious! How fun that your sister is joining too!

Trevor Sis Boom said...

Beautiful. I joined in the fun too! These are so fun, aren't they?

Trevor Sis. Boom.

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

These were a delicious fun first recipe! My mom is cooking through as well! :)

Elaine said...

They look perfect! How fun that you will also be cooking along with your sister.

Candy said...

How fun for you and your sister to do this together! Your cheese puffs look delicous!

Marie Rayner said...

Your gougeres turned out beautiful Tammy! Well done!

Jayne said...

I'm a part of FFwD, too. Your gougeres look lovely!

Mary said...

Yours look wonderful.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

i can't wait for my husband to get home so we can gooble them down with a glass of wine! how fun that your sister is on board too!

TeaLady said...

Perfect little gougeres.

We TWDers are going to have fun with this one.

Look forward to seeing yours on Fridays.

Jacque said...

Ooh fun, you got to bake with your sister. Your gougeres look perfect!

Serene @ MomFood said...

They look great. I'm having fun with this so far.

Shandy said...

Your gougeres are Beautiful golden perfection! You talked your sister into joining, how fun. Looks like a lot of happy months together cooking and baking our way through a second delicious recipe laden Dorie cookbook.

mike said...

Tammy - great looking gougeres! I froze a bunch too - terrific idea, isn't it? They bake up just the same too as unfrozen - which is nice!

Unknown said...

Your gougeres look delish. Wish mine would have turned out as well. Good job!

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

Yours look great. My sister joined too, it will be so fun!

Unknown said...

What beautiful puffs! And I love that your sister is joining in the fun.

Amy said...

Your puffs look amazing!