Tuesday, October 19, 2010

TWD - Caramel Pumpkin Pie


Short but sweet post today. TWD recipe is Caramel Pumpkin Pie and was chosen by Janelle of Mortensen Family Memoirs. Pumpkin Pie is not big in NZ and I think this is only the second time I have made it. I thought this pie was ok. I didn’t really love the highly caramelised flavour of the pie. I prefer my caramel to be on the sweeter, creamier side rather than the highly sugared almost burnt caramel flavour. I halved the recipe and made two mini pies, and cooked the rest of the pie filling in a small ramekin for my gluten free mum who was up staying over the weekend. Mum hadn’t tried pumpkin pie before and loved it. See if the other TWDers enjoyed it here.

14 comments:

Jules Someone said...

The rum and burnt caramel flavor make me a bit nervous. I'll let you know!

Cakelaw said...

That piece looks so good with the whipped cream on top!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

I love that photo. It definitely makes me want to have some.

Peggy said...

Yours looks great. Mine did not turn out so well.

Pamela said...

What a nice treat for your mother! Looks pretty tasty to me!

Mary said...

I didn't love the caramel flavour either, but then I totally over-spiced mine. That pic is great--looks like you interrupted a very hungry (and lucky) person!

Cindy said...

I also thought the caramel was a bit strong--but I still ate and enjoyed it!

Judy said...

I agree with you about the flavor. The caramel was too bitter. This pie won't be replacing my favorite one.

Hindy said...

Your pie looks delicious! At least you got to try a different flavour.

chocolatechic said...

Looks beautiful.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

glad your mum loved her first taste of pumpkin pie filling!

Tia said...

nice "action shot" of the pie - mid-bite i suppose? lol

The Mortensens said...

Yep. The caramel is over-powering. That's why I had to make mine twice! I couldn't not like my own pick! The second time with the lighter caramel was WAAAY better.

Thanks for baking along with me!

TeaLady said...

Funny, I couldn't taste the caramel. It just enhanced the pumpkin flavor.

Looks delicious.