Friday, October 22, 2010

FFwD - Hachis Parmentier


This week’s FFwD recipe is Hachis Parmentier. If there was no photo of the recipe in the book, I would have gathered from the name of the recipe that it is some kind of hash, and that is one way of describing this recipe. Dorie describes it as a French version of Shepherds Pie. The full recipe, which my sister made, takes a long time as it involves making your own beef broth and cooking basically a casserole before topping it with a cheesy potato mash. I made the quick version which is made with mince, and I am glad I did as my sister said she felt like she did a lot for what is essentially a fancy shepherds pie. I am sure Hayley’s hachis had a much greater depth of flavour than mine. I actually added more tomato paste to my meat mixture to give it a bit more depth. I am not a lover of shepherds pie or mashed potato, but I did think that the grated cheese through the potato and scattered over the top was a nice touch. See what the other FFwDers thought here.

10 comments:

Cakelaw said...

Hi Tammy, I wanted to go the mince version, then Mrs Doyle took over! I'd normally make shepherd's pie with mince, and I couldn't see my Mum stuffing about with the chuck beef version. However, 'twas delicious - so tasty, and smells devine. Yours looks fab - makes me want some now.

Beth said...

So strange to here you say "It's spring" I miss it already. Here we are wanting all this warm comfort food. Looks yummy. I did enjoy this recipe.

Judy said...

The cheeses on top add a lot of flavor to this. We loved it, and it tasted much better than the shepherd's pie I usually make.

Pamela said...

I am not a huge fan of these types of dishes, but my husband is. Loved the potatoes, though. Looks good though!

Jayne said...

I made the long version, too, and it was great, but I'd like to try the shorter version as well. Yours looks great!

Mary said...

Your version looks lovely and makes me want to make it again today.

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Glad this turned out well and you had someone to share tips with! :)

Serene said...

I didn't put any cheese in the potatoes themselves. I did like this a lot, but not a whole heck of a lot more than a normal cottage pie. I might add sausage to my cottage pie from now on, though. Yours looks really good, by the way.

Trevor Sis Boom said...

Looks delicious! Spring? :)

TeaLady said...

Looks delicious.

Made mine with leftover crockpot roast and broth from the night before which cut down on the work.

Shepherd's pie is common in this household so we already love it.