Tuesday, October 5, 2010

TWD - Double Apple Bundt Cake


This week’s TWD recipe is Double Apple Bundt Cake and was chosen by Lynne of Honey Muffin. I made this on Saturday when we had my husband’s brother, his wife, her son and his friend staying with us. We had it for pudding after eating fresh snapper my husband had caught in the afternoon (delicious!!).

This cake was amazing. Everyone went back for seconds. It had a real apple flavour, but because it used grated apple instead of chunks of apple, it was much nicer on the palate. I must confess, I don’t know what apple butter is, which is one of the ingredients. I’ts not something we have in NZ and I can only imagine that it is a bit like lemon curd. So I did a substitution of apple jelly, using an apple jelly I had made quite a few years ago, but never used. Perhaps that was the secret ingredient to this delicious, moist cake. I drizzled over a lemon drizzle made simply with icing sugar and lemon juice. We had it with whipped cream. Perfect!

See what the other TWDers thought here.

16 comments:

Cakelaw said...

Your cake looks gorgeous Tammy, and I agree that it was delicious -a real keeper. I have only tried apple butter because someone sent me some for Blogging by Mail once - it is soooooo good. You are right, it is kind of like lemon curd.

Cindy said...

This cake is beautiful and delicious! What a great combo.

Pamela said...

Whatever you did, it sounds like a winner! It looks wonderful, too.

Judy said...

Your cake looks delicious. I think apply jelly is a great substitution for apple butter.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this link, but unfortunately it seems to be offline... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please answer to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if a staff member here at weetreatsbytammy.blogspot.com could post it.

Thanks,
James

chocolatechic said...

Apple butter has the texture of applesauce, only thicker with the flavoring of cinnamon, apple cider, brown sugar and other fall spices.

I make mine in a crock pot.

You should try it.

Your cake looks lovely.

Kimberly Johnson said...

Fantastic looking cake!

Amber Marie said...

Apple jelly sounds like a great substitute! I subbed some applesauce since I ran out of apple butter.

Flourchild said...

Your cake looks moist and tasty! I loved this recipe too..It's a perfect start to the Fall!

Anonymous said...

Apple jelly! Brilliant idea, I would have never come up with that!!

Cathy said...

I bet this was great with a lemon drizzle! Beautiful cake - glad it was a hit!

Peggy said...

I love that you used a lemon drizzle on this. I bet that was good. Beautiful cake Tammy!

Jules Someone said...

This looks amazing! Love this recipe.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

looks delicious, and with a nice glaze, too!

Unknown said...

Looks wonderful - and I hope you get to try apple butter sometime; it's delicious and very easy to make.

TeaLady said...

Guess we just take it for granted that everyone has apple butter. Good sub with the apple jelly. Looks just perfect.