Thursday, October 21, 2010

Cupcakes, At Last!


Last week book club was at my house, so for the first time in a long time, I made cupcakes. For my birthday at the start of the year, one of my good friends gave me the hummingbird bakery cook book. It is a lovely book full of delicious cakes, cupcakes, muffins etc but I had only ever made cookies from it. I had a look through it and found this recipe for peaches and cream cupcakes. They sounded delicious and also easy as they used a drained tin of peaches rather than fresh peaches.

The other thing I liked about the recipe is that it only had one egg and only 40g of butter. So many cupcake recipes have huge quantities of butter and numerous eggs, so not only was the recipe easy, it was also economical and fairly low in fat. Instead of making a buttercream icing, I topped the cakes with swirls of whipped cream. I love using whipped cream to top cupcakes, as I love cream far more than icing and it negates the need to serve some cream alongside the cakes. I made the cakes in pretty blue cupcake cases and topped them with little silver balls and blue flowers which I made a while ago. I think they looked really elegant and my book club friends enjoyed them too.




Peaches and Cream Cupcakes (from the Hummingbird Bakery cook book)

120g flour
140g sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
40g softened butter
120ml milk
1 egg
400g tin peaches, drained

• Combine flour, sugar and baking powder, then mixing in the softened butter using a cake mixer
• Combine the egg and milk and then gradually add to the dry ingredients. Mix to combine
• Place two slices of peach in each of 12 cupcake cases. Divide the cake mixture between the cases and bake at 170c for 20-25 minutes

8 comments:

Cakelaw said...

These are simply gorgeous Tammy, and the flavour sounds devine. I have this book, so I should check them out.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

What a coincidence Tammy, I got that cookbook too! And your cupcakes look gorgeous! :D

Anonymous said...

Cupcakes look great, Tammy - they look very pretty. I love the cookbook too. Very precise recipes and fantastic results.

Anonymous said...

SO pretty!

TeaLady said...

I just got that book and love it. Have to make these cuppys. Love the blue/blue. Try the brownies. Really tasty.

Anonymous said...

These look wonderful Tammy!
I was just wondering what size and type of piping nozzel you use to get that swirl effect with teh cream? Ive been trying to decide whats bes and would really like to acheive this look.

Thanks Tamsin

Ambitious Heart said...

How did you make the decorative flowers i really love them but find from cake shops they are rather expensive to buy??? Thanks

Anonymous said...

Yum, looks delicious. Might try out this weekend :-) Lovely to discover a new blog!