Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Semolina for Harry



I love childhood puddings (custard, tapioca, semolina etc) so it has been a pleasure to start making these puddings for Harry. Semolina has always been a favourite of mine and it must be years since I had it, but when you make it in the microwave, it is such a quick and easy pudding to make. It is also really stable, so you can make some today and then keep it in the fridge for a couple of days.

To make enough for two servings (when combined with fruit), put 125ml full fat milk, 2 tbsp semolina, ½ tsp sugar (or to taste) and ½ tsp vanilla into a microwave proof jug and stir. Microwave on high for 1 minute, then stir. The semolina pudding may need another 20-30 seconds to thicken it up a bit. Let it cool and then stir through your fruit of choice. You could have the semolina plain, but I like the idea of naturally sweetening it with a bit of fruit, and it also means that your baby is getting the goodness of the fruit as well.

Last week I mixed peaches and apple into semolina. This week I made pineapple semolina, by putting a drained can of pineapple pieces in the food processor and processing to the desired consistency (a little bit chunky for Harry at 8 months). I then stirred about three tablespoons of this and three tablespoons of pureed apple through the semolina. Harry absolutely loved it and so did I! I could easily eat this for my lunch too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I fed milk puds to my children too and they also loved them.

Thanks for the almost pic of Harry,you are right to be cautious of putting him on the net.He looks a bonny babe!
Cath

Summer said...

Harry looks like he's enjoying it! Loving reading your baby recipes..such yummy ideas.

Cakelaw said...

What a cutie - love those chubby cheeks!!

Tammy said...

Hi Cath

Harry is a bonny baby! he is well off the plunket charts (78cm long and 12kg at 8 months!!) he is a beautiful boy, but I dont really want his photo on my blog, so sadly little almost photos as you say, will be all that I post :0)

Tammy

steph- whisk/spoon said...

cute little mouth! i love semolina too..i eat it for breakfast with a little brown sugar and some berries.