Monday, November 12, 2007

friends for dinner

On Saturday we had our first real dinner party in the 1970s house. Well, it wasn’t a dinner party so much but the first time that we have had friends over. It was a gorgeous night so we had a bbq.



For starters I roasted some olives in a mixture of fennel seeds, garlic and dried chillies. I like those Greek olives that come in a can (cant remember the name but I think it starts with P). When olives are roasted, the flavour intensifies and they become even more delicious. I served them with some Turkish flat bread and some hummus that I made, adding some preserved lemons for something different. The lemons added a depth of flavour to the hummus.

Steak on the bbq was the meat of choice. I marinated scotch fillet in a mixture of crushed olives, garlic, thyme, olive oil and lemon juice. Salads were a baby spinach salad with toasted almonds and a lemon vinaigrette (I think I have mentioned before that I like very simple green salads, I am not a fan of having everything in the vege bin chopped up and put on top of the salad!!), and an orzo salad with mushrooms cooked in olive oil and lots of garlic with telegraph hill balsamic drizzle and chopped baby spinach tossed through. This was a great flavour combination.



And for pudding……. I have never made lemon meringue pie before, but when Michelle (who came for dinner) mentioned it was her favourite dessert, I thought I would try making it. I looked through all my cook books to find a recipe and decided to use one from an Australian womens weekly book, Old-Fashioned Favourites, that I got for Christmas when I was a teenager. It turned out so well – it was one of the nicest desserts I have had. The pastry was lovely and short and slightly sweet, the filling was gorgeously tart and very silky and the meringue was light and marshmallowy. So good!!! I will be making this again!!!

No comments: