Monday, August 23, 2010

Variation on a theme


I love my Nana’s chocolate chip cookies – I think it is the condensed milk in them which gives them a delicious crisp but kind of soft texture. Using the chocolate chip cookie recipe as a base, there are lots of variations you can make. While I was on maternity leave I made a delicious variation using chopped dried apricots and cornflakes instead of chocolate chips (even as someone who doesn’t like dried apricots I loved these). Today’s recipe is a chocolate and coconut version.

These are the perfect biscuit for the tins – they freeze really well and while they are delicious, they are plain enough to be good for school lunchboxes (I imagine) and to have on hand as a good stand by. They are quick and easy to make, but their taste belies their easiness.

Speaking of quick and easy, our week day meals have become very quick and easy. I used to spend hours pouring over recipe books deciding what to make for dinner – often making two or three new recipes every meal time. Now that we have Harry, a lot less time is utilised doing this. While I still try and make tasty and interesting meals, they really have to be quick, as mealtimes are a busy time – I get home from work, breast feed Harry, feed him his solids, read him some stories, play with him and make dinner all at once. My husband does do a lot of the prep work which does help of course. An example was last night’s dinner – chicken cooked in a sauce made of ½ c sweet chilli sauce, 3 tbsp soy sauce and 3 tbsp fish sauce, served with hokkein noodles, steamed broccoli and chopped roasted peanuts – definitely delicious but less than thirty minutes to prepare.

Chocolate Coconut Cookies

120g butter
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp condensed milk
2 tbsp cocoa powder
3/4 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ c coconut

• Cream butter and sugar, then beat in condensed milk
• Stir in dry ingredients
• Roll into balls and flatten with a fork
• Bake at 170c for 15 minutes or until firmish and golden

6 comments:

Zeetra said...

I do something similar but with the afghan cookie recipe...
Emit the cornies and add choc chips or add sultanas etc... very vesatile...

If I did use your recipe, what could I use the rest of the condensed milk in? I rarely use it.

Tammy said...

Hi Zeetra

Condensed milk lasts in the fridge for ages. you could use it to make fudge cake or lolly cake or a caramel slice. I think you can freeze it as well

Katrina said...

What quantities of cornflakes & dried apricots do you use with this recipe?

Katrina

Katrina said...

The apricot version sounds lovely - what quantities of cornflakes & apricots do you use with this recipe?

Katrina

Tammy said...

Hi Katrina

I would probably use 1/2 c of each and up your flour to 1 c

tammy

Cakelaw said...

These cookies look fab Tammy. I think people who balance family with work are amazing - I can't organise myself some days.