Thursday, August 12, 2010

Oatmeal and Raisin Cookies


A couple of weeks ago I was looking for some easy biscuits to make to take to a friends place. I didn’t have any chocolate chips (having a stay at home husband means that sometimes the chocolate chips are eaten simply as a snack!), so couldn’t make my good old favourite, chocolate chip cookies. Instead I found a recipe in Rachel Allen’s book “Bake” for these oat and raisin cookies. I also didn’t have raisins, but I did have sultanas and dried apricots, so I substituted those.

These cookies were delicious – they even tasted vaguely healthy because of the large quantity of oats in them. They had a very pleasant crisp but slightly chewy texture that I really loved. The original recipe had 2 tbsp of water in it, but I found I didn’t need that, so left it out. I would definitely make these cookies again and I can imagine when Harry gets older, these will make a great lunch box treat. And, if your husband doesn’t eat all the chocolate chips, they would make a great addition to these cookies!

Raisin and Oatmeal Cookies (adapted from Bake by Rachel Allen)

110g butter
110g sugar
110g brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
250g rolled oats
110g self raising flour
110g raisins (or chopped dried apricots, sultanas or chocolate chips)

• Cream the butter and the two sugars. Beat in the egg and then the vanilla.
• Stir in the dry ingredients
• Place rough balls of the mixture onto trays and bake at 170c for 15-20 minutes

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so nice to know I am not the only one who has a hubby who does that Tammy. He used to blame the boys but we have been a 'childless couple' for 5 years now and it still happens. Funny that. They look lovely - will give them a go. Have a great weekend despite the weather forecasted. Hugs Raewyn

Lesley said...

I just made a very similar recipe from The Hummingbird Bakery cookbook and they were very nice - just had two of them with a flat white!

Tammy said...

My favorite cookie by far.

kayenne said...

i believe the water is meant to make chewier cookies, perhaps?

Anonymous said...

I made these today and have to agree they are a nice biscuit that I will make again. It is nice to see you blogging again Tammy.

Cakelaw said...

These sound delicious Tammy - I like a good oatmeal cookie.