Tuesday, August 17, 2010

TWD - Oatmeal Breakfast Bread (muffins)


This week’s TWD recipe is Oatmeal Breakfast Bread and was chosen by Natalie of Oven Love. I actually made this recipe into muffins, as I had limited time and as loaves take a while to bake, I thought I would shortcut the time by making muffins.

This recipe is a relatively “healthy” one. It has comparatively little fat in it, moistness and flavour being created with apple sauce. I didn’t take a special trip to buy apple sauce (it’s not such a common ingredient in NZ as it seems to be in the States), but of course I do have loads of cans of baby apples in my pantry at the moment (I buy canned fruit for Harry, but cook my own everything else), so I used baby apples for the apple sauce component of the recipe. The recipe made twelve muffins – lovely muffins, full of oats, a touch of spice with a lovely walnut cinnamon crumble on top.



I would definitely recommend these as a very quick and easy to make, but delicious muffin. I am sure the loaf version would be delicious as well. See if the other TWDers agree here.

9 comments:

Cakelaw said...

I agree - these were delicious, and yours look great. It is easy enough to buy apple sauce here, but it is not something that I often buy.

Natalie said...

Thanks for baking with me, Tammy! I did muffins, too- yours look so yummy!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

I had thought about trying muffins and I think I would have liked them better, after seeing yours.

Unknown said...

Delicious-looking muffins! Great idea to substitute baby apples. I wonder how baby sweet potato puree would work?

Tia said...

love the pic with 1 muffin missing -0 action shot! lol

Judy said...

Love the muffins and your ingenuity for substituting ingredients. I have been known to use pureed plums/prunes from the baby food section in some of my quick breads.

Anonymous said...

Your muffins look lovely! Good idea to use baby food for the applesauce.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

baby apples-- too funny! i bet it's the same thing anyway. this recipe was a great one, i thought.

TeaLady said...

Way to go to make your own sauce with the baby apples. We take apple sauce for granted don't think of countries not having it. Good save.

Muffins look wonderful.