Thursday, August 13, 2009

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies


After watching Bill Granger’s tv programme on Food TV, I have started using his books more and more. I have all the books, buying his first book, Sydney Food about 8 years ago and then buying each new book as it issued. Watching his programme reminded me of his simple but sophisticated approach – good clean flavours presented in a modern way.

Last week I wanted to bake some cookies for my cousin’s children, so looked in one of Bill’s books and found a recipe for peanutbutter chocolate chunk cookies. What I liked about these cookies is that they mostly relied on the peanutbutter for the fat content – there was very little butter in them. What I didn’t like about them is that they took half of a king size cake of dairy milk chocolate and in the week since I baked them I have nearly eaten the rest of the bar, which isn’t like me at all. Normally I can leave the chocolate in the cupboard mostly untouched!

I don’t think these cookies are as tasty as the ones I made from Baked! a couple of months ago, but they are a good everyday standard and great for kids as a lunch box filler.

Last night for dinner we had an interesting dish from the latest Diana Henry book. It was oven roasted fish which you top with a dressing made from anchovies, lemon juice, parsely and olive oil once cooked, and serve with a side of cannellini beans pureed with garlic, sautéed onion and lemon juice. It was really yummy. We had it with baked Maori potatoes (the variety that are purple inside) and green beans, blanched and then sautéed with garlic, almonds and lemon juice. A fairly easy mid week meal.



Peanutbutter and Milk Chocolate Cookies (Bill Granger)

150g brown sugar
40g butter
5 ½ tbsp peanut butter (I used crunchy)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
155g flour
1 tsp baking powder
100g milk chocolate

• Cream butter, peanut butter and sugar
• Beat in egg and vanilla
• Mix in flour and baking powder and then chocolate
• Roll into balls and flatten slightly
• Bake at 190c for 10-12 minutes or until golden

3 comments:

SassyCassie said...

Thos look soo soft and yummy!

Anonymous said...

Ooh...those cookies sound delicious. I like the plump shape.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

ah...i miss being able to go to bill's restaurants (even tho i bought all his books while in sydney myself). one time i saw him with two of his cute daughters at his place in woolahra!