Thursday, August 27, 2009

Daring Bakers - August Challenge


It’s that time again – the August daring bakers challenge is un-veiled and I must apologise for the ugliest looking dobos torte you have ever seen. It tastes good though.

The August 2009 Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Angela of A Spoonful
of Sugar
and Lorraine of Not Quite Nigella. They chose the spectacular Dobos
Torte based on a recipe from Rick Rodgers' cookbook Kaffeehaus: Exquisite
Desserts from the Classic Caffés of Vienna, Budapest, and Prague. Lorraine is one of my favourite bloggers, but her pick and I didn’t really agree.

The dobos is a layer cake – each layer is a light sponge filled with a chocolate buttercream filling. The difference with the dobos torte is that the final layer has a layer of toffee poured over it. It also has crushed hazelnuts pressed on the sides and whole hazelnuts prop up the little toffee shards on the top of the cake. Instead of making one or two cakes and slicing into layers, you make each of the cake layers individually. I halved the recipe and made much 15cm round cakes. The cake layers were fairly easy – sponge cakes really. The real recipe was for buttercream made with eggs, but the eggs were undercooked and one of my eaters is pregnant, so I made a simple chocolate buttercream using the mock cream recipe in the Edmonds book and adding cocoa powder.

I am not sure what happened with my toffee. It went a nice dark toffee colour, but maybe I didn’t take it far enough as it didn’t crisp up like toffee at the end. I just don’t think I have the patience to be a pastry chef. I adore baking and I have fun decorating cakes in my own rather non-creative way, but attention to detail for something like the dobos torte is lacking a bit.

On the bright side my husband loved this cake. I thought it was ok, but then I like pretty plain cakes and am not huge on lots of filling – unless it is whipped cream!

Have a look here and you will more than likely see what a real Dobos Torte looks like when you check out the other Daring bakers’ tortes.

7 comments:

Cakelaw said...

You are very hard on yourself Tammy - I think your torte looks just right. And I will bet the eaters loved it ;)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Aww Tammy that is not ugly at all! It looks lovely! I agree with Cakelaw you're too hard on yourself :)

Deeba PAB said...

Tammy, you must be kidding. It looks lovely! Don't be so hard on yourself! My family loved the torte too, & I thought it was a bit sweet. I with you on light desserts!

surrey said...

I saw you lovely collection and every collection is awesome...

Jacque said...

Sounds like lots of people had trouble with the caramel/toffee. Yours looks great and I'm glad your hubby liked it.

Anonymous said...

I don't think its ugly! I ran out of time and didn't have a chance to make it, but now that I know it is tasty I may have to find time.

Poppy said...

Hi Tammy I love your blog.

When you do the Daring Baker Challenges do you convert the measurements to kilos and grams?

That always puts me off when I read a recipe from the States as I don't like failing when I bake LOL