Friday, August 14, 2009

More Bill


Another Bill Granger recipe, this time, a most delicious pudding. We had friends over for dinner on Saturday night and I wanted to make a pudding that was easy but delicious. My favourite puddings are actually the old fashioned kind like chocolate self saucing and apple crumble, so I had a look through some books and found Bill’s recipe for Banana Butterscotch Pudding – a sort of banana and caramel self saucing pudding.

For the main we had roast chicken which I had butterflied by cutting down either side of the backbone to remove it, then spreading the chicken flat. If you’re not fussed about stuffing this is the best way to roast a chicken (this is actually the first time I have done it) as it only takes an hour and you get a really juicy, succulent bird. I rubbed the flesh and with a mixture of cayenne pepper, salt and ground cumin. I served it with a chickpea and baby spinach salad with a yoghurt dressing and rice pilaf.

The pudding really complimented the main. I actually found the pudding to improve a bit on sitting, as the caramel sauce firmed up a bit. This is a very quick and easy dessert to prepare and was great to be able to pop into the oven as soon as the chicken came out. I served it with thickened cream, but it would be great with ice cream. You can find the recipe here.

4 comments:

LittleRed said...

I love self saucing pudding recipes and I only have a few....so I'm interested to give this one a try! Thanks:)

Fiona Brown said...

I like Bill recipes! Nice one Tammy.
By the way - I finally have got my hot little hands on Dorie's book...HURRAY!! Now for some fun...

Cakelaw said...

I love Bill, in any way shape or form - great dessert.

♥Rosie♥ said...

I just adore self saucing puddings and what a great comfort dessert!!