Thursday, February 21, 2008

more chocolate chunk cookies


It was my brother-in-law’s birthday about three weeks ago. We don’t normally give presents to the in-laws and just send cards. But, this year I totally forgot to send him a card even!! So I thought I would make some biscuits and send them to him as a belated birthday treat.

I thought he would appreciate something chocolatey and he might even want to share them with my adorable 6 year old nephew and 4 year old niece!! I have a tried and true double chocolate cookie recipe that I have made for a long time, but if you have been reading this blog, you will know that I always like to try new things.

The recipe I made last night is a Julie Le Clerc recipe from the NZ Womens Weekly. It was called chocolate, fruit and nut cookies. I left out the fruit (1/2 c raisins) as I don’t really like them. The main difference between this recipe and my usual is that it had all brown sugar in it rather than a combination of white and brown. The biscuits were absolutely delicious!! I would definitely make them again. The recipe also isn’t too different to one I blogged about last year, but I think that the addition of self raising flour made them a little less soda tasting and there is more sugar in these ones which helps with the chew. They are relatively crisp, but are kind of chewy as well. I like having the white chocolate as well as the dark in them and the nuts are also a welcome addition. They seemed to survive the humidity ok as well and didn’t soften as some of the biscuits I have made lately have. I recommend trying them out. Perfect with a glass of milk!!!

Chocolate and Nut cookies (Julie Le Clerc)

125g butter
1 ¼ c brown sugar
1 egg
1/3 c cocoa
1 c plain flour
¼ c self raising flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ c each of chopped white chocolate, chopped dark chocolate and chopped nuts (I used almonds)

· Beat butter, sugar and egg until smooth
· Stir in dry ingredients and then the chocolate and nuts
· Put spoonfuls onto lined oven trays and flatten slightly
· Bake at 180c for about 15-17 minutes until firming up around the edges
Cool on tray about 5 minutes and then transfer to a rack

3 comments:

Cakelaw said...

I'd take these biscuits in lieu of a card any day - chocolate cookies are great!

I have tagged you for a MeMe:

http://kitchenlaw.blogspot.com/2008/02/meme-food-for-gossip.html

Nikki57 said...

Those look delicious!

Cakelaw said...

Hi Tammy, There's no time limit on doing the MeMe - just whenever you get the chance. I look forward to reading your answers - I have to confess the question that took me the longest was 5 things I'd never wear again! (Trinny and Susannah could probably fix that for me.)