Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Hay Hay Donna, it was a disaster!



Bordeaux from Marita Says picked little coconut chocolate tarts for the February Hay Hay, It’s Donna Day. The recipe is from Donna Hay’s book, Fast Food and is basically a macaroon crust with a chocolate ganache filling.

Unfortunately I didn’t read Brodeaux’s instructions properly - he said it was a good idea to line the muffin tins with cupcake cases before putting the coconut base into the tins. I made 12 mini tarts using a mini muffin tin and 8 normal muffin sized tarts. In reality I only got 6 mini tart and the larger tarts were deconstructed tarts, as I had to scoop the macaroon base out of the tins and then re-bake on a tray. What a mess!!!! If you try this recipe you must use cupcake cases!!!! When the coconut mixture is warm it is too soft to get out of the tin and as it cools, it sets hard onto the tin.

I made the chocolate ganache filling and was thinking of a way to make my tarts a little different (other than the fact that the look nothing like tarts!!!). I really wanted to flavour the ganache with raspberry liquer, but not having any in the cupboard, I thought of another flavour combination that I love – chocolate and caramel. So I topped the ganache with a small dollop of caramel, using a tin of caramelised condensed milk. I also altered the ratio of chocolate to cream as I like a firmer style ganache. For a firmer ganache I use a ratio of 2:1 chocolate to cream.

The taste of the tarts is yummy, it is just the look that is a bit disappointing. Now I also have the best part of a can of caramelised condensed milk in the fridge that I need to do something with before I end up eating the lot! Looks like it might be a caramel slice later in the week.

7 comments:

Deborah said...

I think it looks delicious - and the addition of caramel is genius!

Anonymous said...

I will sell my soul for caramel. I will sell much more for caramel and chocolate. So consider your tarts sold to me! That tart looks delicious, whether the tart shells broke or not.

Cakelaw said...

Hi Tammy, I agree with Bordeaux - give me one of those mouth-wateringly glossy chocolate tarts with the sweet caramel top any day.

Morven said...

Your tart looks sinfully rich and delicious.

The last time I had leftover caramel condensed milk I made some muffins from the Nestle site. They were pretty good.

Suzana said...

Caramel and chocolate is quite brilliant, I think. My tart shells also broke the day I bake them but the day after where great. Anyway, those decadent tarts look delicious!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you soldiered on with you broken tarts because, MYGOODNESS!, this sounds divine! Chocolate and caramel and toasty coconut...oohlala :)

Barbara said...

Caramel and chocolate is just perfect. I agree the muffin cases are the way to go when making hte tarts. Thanks for joining HHDD.