Tuesday, November 17, 2009

TWD - Sugar Topped Molasses Cookies


This week’s TWD recipe is sugar topped molasses spice cookies chosen by Pamela of Cookies with Boys. I was looking forward to making these cookies as I’ve never baked wit molasses before – it’s not really a product we use in NZ that much – we tend to use golden syrup instead which is a more mild syrup.

When I went supermarket shopping on Saturday the only molasses they had at two supermarkets was blackstrap molasses. I had a feeling that wasn’t quite right and when I went home and looked at the recipe, I was right – it specifically said not to use blackstrap molasses. I had a wee taste of the molasses and it was pretty disgusting – thick , very dark and strong. I decided to make a half batch of the cookies anyway just to see what they were like. I didn’t even get to cook them. I had a taste of the mixture and it was foul! I decided not to even bake the yucky tasting mixture.



Having thrown the cookie dough down the waste disposal, I made the cookie dough again using golden syrup rather than molasses. The cookies were delicious. They turned out very similar to a gingernut biscuit – crisp, spicy but with a little bit of chew. I didn’t make them as flat as suggested in the recipe, but they were still delicious. Perfect with a glass of cold milk.

See what the other TWDers thought here.

17 comments:

Fiona Brown said...

I miss golden syrup sooooo much!!!! I can get light molasses here, but even that just isn't the same as good old golden syrup. I can get golden syrup from a shop that imports British goods but it is really expensive....
Glad the cookies worked better the second time!

Amanda said...

They look fabulous Tammy! I loved these cookies. Funny I didn't even notice the warning about the blackstrap, glad I didn't run into that ;-/

Unknown said...

Those look delicious! I have a bottle of Lyle's in my pantry and I'd love to try these cookies with it instead of molasses. We can now get golden syrup in our supermarkets in the US, but a few years ago it was unheard of.

chocolatechic said...

Black strap molasses is just as you said foul and vile!

I wonder what golden syrup tastes like. I have never heard of it before.

Leslie said...

Ooo, I bet these were amazing with the golden syrup! They look much more sophisticated than they do made with the molasses.

Judy said...

Golden syrup is a good substitution. I have some in my pantry, so I might try that next time. It's a bit costly here, but worth it. Your cookies look fabulous.

Flourchild said...

Wow your cookies look perfect, nice job! Im glad you like them too. I thought they were good.

Anonymous said...

They look perfect! I'm glad it worked out with the golden syrup. Molasses isn't my favorite, but I liked it in these cookies.

Jules Someone said...

Oh no! Some day I'm going to have to try golden syrup. Glad they worked out in the end!

Unknown said...

Hi Tammy!...those cookies look great and a lot more attractive than most of the other TWDs. Was golden syrup and thickness of the cookies the only changes you made?....also does the 1/2 cup golden syrup plus 1 cup brown make them really really sweet?....I knw that Americans tend to have a sweeter tooth than us.....
Thank you sooo much....i can't wait to try these....hense all the hassling

Tammy said...

Hi Ayesha

I'm pleased you like the look of my cookies :0) those were the only two changes that I made - golden syrup is very sweet - but because of the spices the cookies werent too sweet

Tammy

steph- whisk/spoon said...

yes, blackstrap is gross! glad you had success with golden syrup though!

Morven said...

Don't you hate that kind of waste! I wonder if treacle would have been a good substitute?

I love how your cookies look - all wrinkly like a gingernut only better because they are homemade.

TeaLady said...

Good thing you found out before you baked and gave them away.

These were very tasty cookies. Your second batach looks perfect.

Jacque said...

Oooh, interesting! I'll bet those *were* good. I love golden syrup. Good going!

Brian said...

Wonder what they would be like with the Billington's Molasses that comes in a granulated form .
to be honest we are the agent for this product so let me know if you want a sample. many thanks

Unknown said...

These look great and I bet they're wonderful with molasses. I wish people appreciated it more (molasses, that is)...