Monday, November 9, 2009

Carrot Cake


My third sister (there are four of us) turns 30 next weekend and she and my youngest sister were up in the weekend, so I made her an early birthday cake. Mum and Dad were up as well so we had a wonderful weekend, but did miss sister #2. My sister’s favourite cake is carrot cake, but a plain carrot cake with no sultanas, pineapple etc in it. I have to say I am with her on that one, although I don’t mind walnuts in carrot cake.

I made the recipe from one of Annabel Langbein’s book. It makes a large, 23cm cake, but I actually made a higher cake in a 20cm cake tin. The cake is very easy to make – the recipe says to whiz it up in the food processor, but as I had my cake mixer out making other things, I just made it in that. The cake was beautiful and moist as well and is definitely my “go to” carrot cake recipe. I covered it with cream cheese icing and simply decorated it with little icing flowers I made a while ago. This recipe would make great cupcakes as well.



Carrot Cake (Annabel Langbein)

1 c neutral oil (I used rice bran oil)
2 c raw sugar
4 eggs
1 c wholemeal flour
1 c plain flour
3 c grated carrot
1 tsp each mixed spice and ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda dissolved in 1 tbsp orange juice (I used milk)

• Beat together oil, sugar and eggs
• Beat in flour, then carrot and spices and lastly baking soda
• Pour into lined 23 or 20cm round cake tin
• Bake at 160c for 50-60 minutes or until cooked through
• When cold ice with cream cheese icing.

8 comments:

Tamela said...

Ooh that looks yummy! So moist, and the icing looks scrumptious!

I'm also the eldest of four sisters! :) Your sisters are lucky to have such a thoughtful, sweet person in their life!

Have a wonderful week!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, yum! I like carrot cake. Although I like with raisins, nuts.

Anonymous said...

The cake was delicious!

Anonymous said...

I love carrot cake but love walnuts, apples or pineapple and dried fruit as well. We sure all are different. Your sisters are lucky to have a cake made for them .

Sally

Cakelaw said...

Yum! Happy belated birthday to your sister. Her ake looks lovely.

Anonymous said...

Yes - we are very lucky to have such a lovely thoughful older sister & was so nice having my favourite cake!!! Really was very delicious!! Thanks again Tam xx
(3rd sister!)

Karine said...

This is a nice gift for your sister! It looks delicious :)

Johnny said...

Yum! I love carrot cake, and I am totally with your sister on the no extra bits. That looks delicious!