Tuesday, November 24, 2009

TWD - All in One Holiday Bundt Cake


This week’s TWD is all in one holiday Bundt Cake and was chosen by Britin of the Nitty Britty. This cake is perfect for this time of year in the states – full of all the things that you associate with autumn and thanksgiving – pumpkin, cranberries, pecans and apples. Of course, we are heading into summer, not autumn here and we don’t celebrate thanksgiving, but this is the most delicious cake for any time of the year.

The recipe is easy to put together. The only more time intensive bit is that we don’t have canned mashed pumpkin here, so I cooked some pumpkin and mashed it. When I do this I do it in the microwave and don’t add any liquid, as that makes the pumpkin go watery. It is best to steam it. Also, as I mentioned a few weeks ago, fresh or even frozen cranberries are very rare here, so I used dried cranberries instead. I also only had a 70g packet of pecans which is about 2/3 of a cup instead of the cup stipulated in the recipe, but that was fine.

This was my second time using my bundt pan. Last time was to make Dorie’s banana bundt. This time I didn’t have such great success getting the cake out of the tin – I don’t think I left it for quite long enough before trying to remove it. But it was still mostly in one piece. I made the maple syrup glaze for the cake, but I think I watered it down too much and the glaze kind of ran off the cake. It still tasted pretty good.

I would definitely make this cake again. See what the other TWDers thought here.

8 comments:

Cakelaw said...

Terrific looking bundt Tammy - I loved this cake.

Amanda said...

Looks wonderful Tammy, can't tell you had trouble getting it out! I had that same problem, I baked it 55 instead of 70 minutes. I am making it again tomorrow, tossing in freezer and bringing it with me to Thanksgiving dinner. This time though I will definitely bake it the full length :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy. Alex stumbled upon "Canned Pumpkin" the other day in the supermarket and was so astonished he sent me an email the moment they got home from shopping. He simply could not believe there was such a thing - but his lovely wife reminded him of their obsession with "Pumpkin Pies". Just popping some Marmite into their Xmas pacakge - which includes a "Mama made Xmas Cake". Your cake looks lovely. Cheers and hugs Raewyn.

Justin said...

it's definitely the right season for holiday cakes here, but I think I'd prefer some more summer... brrr.

Hindy said...

It's cold and dark in Canada and the flavours of this cake warmed us up. I'm glad to hear that it's delicious in any season.
Glad you enjoyed!

Anonymous said...

It looks great! I'm glad you were able to enjoy it even though it's not fall.

Tia said...

what a pretty cake!

Morven said...

This is yet another one of Dorie's recipes that is on my to bake list and even more so now I've seen your gorgeous cake.