Friday, March 28, 2008

Gingernut truffles and Portugese meatballs



I mentioned yesterday that part of my dessert platter for the work bbq was ginger truffles. I normally make truffles with a creamy chocolate centre (my own secret recipe). However, a few years ago I saw a recipe which intrigued me, using a packet of gingernuts as the basis for truffles. I decided for the work function to make these.

They are basically a packet of gingernuts (hard ginger biscuits usually dunked in a cup of tea for those of you who don’t know what they are), ground in the food processor and then mixed with 150g cream cheese, ½ c coconut, a good slosh of baileys and ½ tsp ground ginger. The mixture is then rolled into balls, chilled and then dipped in chocolate.



I am not sure about these. I have tried similar style truffles before that are made from toffee pops. I much prefer the toffee pop version. I like ginger things, but I don’t like ginger nuts (although I do like home made ones – just don’t like packet biscuits very much), so maybe the truffles were too much like gingernuts for my tastes? Or maybe I have been spoiled by the decadence of my usual truffle recipe that has a lovely chocolatey filling. Perhaps biting into a truffle made from biscuits feels like I am being cheated of chocolate!?

I haven’t written about what we are having for dinner for a while! A couple of nights ago we had delicious spicy pork meatballs with a tomato and chilli jam and cannellini beans with silver beet. The recipe came from Cuisine magazine and was actually surprisingly quick and easy (all was made within 45 minutes). I divided the whole recipe by 3 and left the pork fat out of the meatballs. I also used a can of drained tomatoes instead of fresh. You can find the recipe here.

No comments: