Friday, March 14, 2008

Catching up with Dorie



While I plan to cook my way through From My Home to Yours with the crew from Tuesdays with Dorie, there were about 9 recipes cooked before I joined. So, I am planning over time to make sure I bake these.



The first ever TWD challenge was brown sugar and pecan shortbread. I made this last night as a gift for our lovely neighbours. I decided to halve the recipe, as we don’t really need any excess biscuits hanging round!!! For some reason I didn’t quite have my mind on the job when I was making them as I left out two vital steps – one, I didn’t add a pinch of ground cloves (I don’t think this would have made a huge difference, but I would have been interested to see what the taste was like) and secondly, I didn’t chill the dough before baking. This was a real shame as the biscuits didn’t hold their shape as much as I would have liked.



Still, the biscuits are delicious!!! The brown sugar makes them just a little chewy even though they are crisp (is that an oxymoron – crisp but chewy biscuits?!) and the pecans add another dimension. I will definitely make these again. Dorie says you could have them with ice cream, but I reckon they would also be good with blue cheese and quince paste. And of course, they are very good just by themselves!!

3 comments:

Cakelaw said...

These are cute looking shortbreads, and the brown sugar addition sounds nice.

Anonymous said...

You know, these gave both Laurie and I some problems in regard to the spreading. We both chilled ours pretty good, and they still spread. We were stumped! But they ARE delicious :)

Morven said...

They look delicious. I must remember to use the "stack" setting for my next cookie photo shoot.