Thursday, January 29, 2009

Daring Bakers Do Tuiles


Last month I didn’t make the Daring Bakers’ challenge mostly due to time constraints. This month's challenge is brought to us by Karen of Bake My Day and Zorra of 1x umruehren bitte aka Kochtopf. They have chosen Tuiles from The Chocolate Book by Angélique Schmeink and Nougatine and Chocolate Tuiles from Michel Roux. I chose to make the first tuiles. I havent made tuiles like these before – I have made ones that are more like brandy snaps or very thin Florentines. It was fun to make something different.

To go with the tuiles we had to make something light to partner them. I chose to make vanilla frozen yoghurt which was actually a great accompaniment. The tuiles were quite easy to make – it is a simple batter, spread out into shapes (I boringly spread mine into circles), baked and then shaped while still warm. I coloured a little of the mix with cocoa and made dots and swirls on the tuilles. I shaped mine over a rolling pin, but something a bit thinner would give a more definite shape.

I also think next time I would make them thinner – although they were still lovely and crispy.

The vanilla frozen yoghurt was based on a recipe from David Leibowitz’s ice cream book. I used yoghurt that was already vanilla flavoured, adding more vanilla seeds and then you simply churn it in your ice cream maker. I used low fat yoghurt which I thought might give an icy result, but it didn’t. The frozen yoghurt was so creamy and utterly delicious, that it is worth having an ice cream maker simply to make this!

See how creative the other Daring Bakers’ tuiles are here.

17 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

how nice ! i like the chocolate swirl .

Cakelaw said...

I love the idea of pairing these with frozen yoghurt, especially in the weather we are having! Your tuiles aren't boring at all - I love the swirl.

Anonymous said...

Very nice Tammy! Love the little swirl in the centre too :)

Di said...

Nice job, Tammy! I think I want to try to make mine thinner next time, too. Your frozen yogurt sounds delicious, too.

Karen Baking Soda said...

Frozen yoghurt! Yum! Great job!

Anonymous said...

I love the swirl - looks like a koru design

Anonymous said...

I love the chocolate swirl. How creative!

Engineer Baker said...

Frozen yogurt sounds wonderfully light with these, and I love the swirl. Awesome job!

Loie said...

It looks great! I'm just doing mine now, I'm really nervous as to how they'll turn out!

Heather B said...

Love the swirl! Your tuile looks so good! I wish mine had turned out as thin as yours. Great job!

vibi said...

Love, love, love the swirl!
...it almost looks like a musical key!!!
Very nice, Tammy!

Bumblebutton said...

Your pairing sounds divine! And your swirl, as everyone has said, is super cute!

Fit Chick said...

Your tuiles look great! Nice job! And the frozen yoghurt sound so good.

TeaLady said...

Love your tuiles. They came out great. And with frozen yoghurt. Perfect.

Shari said...

I love the swirl in your tuile!

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats said...

Lovely tuiles - I like the marble effect. I also found my tuiles to be a bit on the thick side - maybe it was the batter?

Kimberly Johnson said...

Your tuile turned out so beautiful! Love the swirl.