Friday, January 16, 2009

Cupcake Hero - White Chocolate


Cupcake Hero is back for 2009 and the January theme is white chocolate. I ended up going for something quite simple and also quite summery I think – White chocolate and Raspberry Cupcakes.

I made a very basic cupcake recipe, adding in raspberries and chunks of white chocolate. I actually used frozen raspberries as it seems a complete waste to use beautiful fresh raspberries in baking. They are best eaten straight out of the punnet. Actually when we were on holiday we went to Akaroa for the day and at the local farmers market we bought the most amazing raspberries – they were huge, about the same size as a boysenberry and so sweet!



I added two teaspoons of rose water to the cupcakes, but you could leave that out. Two teaspoons is just enough to give a little flavour to leave you wondering exactly what it is. I topped the cupcakes with fresh whipped cream, adding a little icing sugar and vanilla paste – you can see the flecks of vanilla in the cream. I made the little toppers by melting white chocolate, tinting it pink and then squiggling it onto baking paper using a little plastic bag with the tip cut off. When the shapes hardened I popped them into the cream.

I took these cakes into work where they got rave reviews – some said that these are the nicest cupcakes I have made yet. They were pretty yummy, but then I’m a sucker for raspberries and cream!



Raspberry & White Chocolate Cupcakes

125g butter
2/3 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 ¼ c flour
1 ¼ tsp baking powder
½ c milk
2 tsp rosewater (you could leave this out)
1 c raspberries (I used frozen)
2/3 c white chocolate buttons or chunks

· Cream butter and sugar, then add vanilla. Beat in eggs, one at a time
· Mix in remaining in flour, baking powder, milk and rosewater (if using). I did this with the beater as well
· Fold in raspberries and white chocolate
· Spoon into 12-14 cupcake cases and bake @ 160c for 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean
When cold, top with whipped cream

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

These cupcakes are perfect for an afternoon tea for my friend tomorrow.It is her 46th birthday,and we are grateful she is still well enough to join in.I will pipe her name in pink and I know she will love it.Thank you so much for the recipe and Happy New Year Tammy.

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful and sound delicious!! You should refer this this post the the Cupcakes Take The Cake blog. Do you know that one? It's all about wonderful cupcakes. Keep up the good work! I love to check out the wonderful things you are making.

Anonymous said...

Your cupcakes look delicious. I love the raspberries in the middle.

Anonymous said...

Drool!

Anonymous said...

Great combination! I love white chocolate and raspberry together-I always think the tart raspberries are perfect for sweet white chocolate :)

Snooky doodle said...

These look really pretty in pink. They must have been really yummy :)

Cakelaw said...

Delicious! I am sad that the raspberry season is so short - I love them.

Jaime said...

those are so cute!

Morven said...

Kapiti's white chocolate raspberry icecream is my favourite flavour and I'm sure the combination would be just as fabulous in a cupcake. Yum