Friday, September 19, 2008

Wee Treats for Gifts


Fudge is always a great gift to give – it lasts for a while and is not the kind of thing that people often make for themselves, but most people seem to love it. It also makes quite a bit if you have got a number of gifts to make. I made this fudge on the weekend and split the batch up – some to go with a 50th birthday present, some as a thank you for having us and some for a staff birthday gift. And there was enough for a few pieces for my husband and me to enjoy.

The fudge is similar to Russian fudge but is made with dark cane sugar instead of white sugar. You could add rum as a flavouring, but I added vanilla extract, as I didn’t have any rum, plus I much prefer the taste of vanilla. Actually, the dark brown sugar gives the fudge a delicious caramelised flavour – almost like toffee rather than the lighter taste Russian fudge has.

My fudge was perhaps a little softer than I would have liked – I think this was because I was doing something else at the same time as making it (not a good idea when making fudge!) and I didn’t beat it enough, but it was still very delicious – real melt in the mouth stuff!

And just to add a savoury note to temper all the sweetness! I have mentioned before how I love meatballs, well earlier in the week I made some delicious Greek inspired meatballs by adding crumbled feta and chopped kalamata olives to beef mince. We had them with brown rice which I spiced with cardamom pods and chopped mint, and silverbeet sautéed with browned onion, garlic and chickpeas (inspired by Claudia Roden). Served with my favourite Cyclops thick and creamy yoghurt, this was delicious!




Dark Fudge

3 ½ c dark cane sugar
125g butter
3 tbsp golden syrup
½ c milk
200g condensed milk
2 tsp rum or vanilla extract

· Stir all ingredients except for the rum or vanilla over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved
· Increase heat and boil fudge until it reached 120c on a candy thermometer
· Add vanilla or rum, then beat until the fudge is thick and has lost its gloss
Pour into a 23cm square tin which is greased or lined and mark into squares when set.

5 comments:

susan said...

That fudge looks so delicious! Now I want it! :)

Fiona and Michael Brown said...

Hi Tammy

The fudge looks very yummy! Will have to make it when I am back on dairy. As I don't have a sugar thermometer..do you have any idea how long it took to reach the right temp?

Thanks.

Cakelaw said...

I adore fudge, especially of he Russian caramel kind. Delicious!!!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm - I adore fudge - but try to make it to give away. This one looks a similar texture to your yummy chocolate recipe Tammy. Hope your weekend was great. Hugs Raewyn

Deb said...

Mmmm, fudge is one of those things I just never make. Think it's all that stirring and beating! And you're absolutely right...it does make a great gift. Yours looks very easy and yummy.