Thursday, December 18, 2008

Mini Christmas Cakes


In the last Wilton class I did we learned how to make poinsettas. I thought that they would be the perfect thing to top little individual Christmas cakes. So in the weekend I made a Christmas cake recipe into cupcake sized cakes and as needed, I am covering them with fondant and topping them with some poinsettas I made last week.

My usual Christmas cake recipe is a variation of Nigella Lawson’s Christmas cake in How to be a Domestic Goddess. However, for these mini cakes I used a Donna Hay recipe as a base. I used a mix of sultanas, currants, raisins and dried apricots and added flaked almonds. I don’t like fruit cake at all – I cant even try a wee bit because sultanas and raisins are truly my worst thing, but my husband said that the cake is lovely and moist. I think that they look pretty cute with the poinsettia on top as well.

1 comment:

Snooky doodle said...

How cute !!! these look beatiful. Wish I knew how to make ponsietta :) I bet they were delicious