Friday, December 21, 2007

cute cookies



I am so delighted with these cute cookies. I was at the hairdressers on Saturday and in one of the magazines was this recipe for decorated hazelnut shortbread biscuits. I don’t normally ever rip out pages of magazines that I don’t own, but I did on Saturday!!! I slyly ripped out the page and put it in my handbag!!! I was slightly shocked at myself, but I really needed the visual to see what the biscuits looked like!



The mixture called for ground hazelnuts. I was planning on grinding my own, but I remembered that I had some ground macadamia nuts in the cupboard, so I decided to substitute those. The cookies in the magazine were all beautifully decorated in a mixture of white and dark chocolate. To make things simple for myself, I dipped all of mine in white chocolate and then decorated them with these really cute icing santa clauses that I bought at the Albany farmers market, and some Christmas sprinkles I got from the supermarket. I am so pleased with them! They look lovely and festive and also taste yummy! They cooked to a nice consistency and kept their shape well! What more could I want!!!

Over the weekend I will be making the last minute wee treats to give on Christmas day. The other things I plan on making are some savoury biscuits, some spice biscuits and some fruit mince chocolate truffles. I am making a gift basket for my mother in law for Christmas, so I want to fill it with things that she will like. That might be my first post for next year as on Monday I am off on holiday for 3 weeks!! Yay!!!



Hazelnut shortbread

125g butter
¼ c icing sugar
1 tbsp rice flour
1 c flour
1 tsp mixed spice
2 tbsp ground hazelnuts

· Cream butter and icing sugar, then mix in dry ingredients
· Roll out and cut into shapes
· Bake at 150 deg for about 15-20 minutes
Decorate with melted chocolate

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy,
I just wanted to say that I have been following your blog for the past few weeks after getting your link from Food Lovers Forum. I have been enjoying checking out what you have been making. I am impressed that you work and then have time for such delightful creations. I have a passion for baking too. I have made lots of cream based truffles, chocolate Apricot pistachio slice and christmas cake here! Merry Christmas, enjoy your break!

Deborah said...

What great cookies!! Something to really put you in a festive mood!

Cakelaw said...

These look gorgeous Tammy! I have often been tempted to tear out the recipes too. There is a great cafe near work that has food magazines to read, and I have often eaten my lunch while furiously scribbling down recipes on the back of bills, printed emails, advertisements and anything else that I can find in my handbag!