Wednesday, September 26, 2007

New cook books and fast pasta



As I have mentioned before, I am an avid cook book collector! I have recently ordered two beautiful new books from www.fishpond.co.nz (which is a great place to buy books) and they arrived yesterday.

I have only recently learned about Peggy Porschen - cake decorator to the stars! She is one of my new idols! The link to her website is to the right under my favourite web sites. These two beautiful books have the most divine photos of beautifully decorated cakes, cupcakes and cookies. A real inspiration. I know that I am not arty or clever enough to make such stunning creations, but I love the ideas and the inspiration to have a go! It is also a good place to get ideas. I am sure a lot of it is practice (which I don’t really have the time for!). These cakes are not old Nana style decorated cakes, but are contemporary modern art. I can’t wait to give some of these new techniques a go!

Last night for dinner I made pasta with olives, baby spinach, herbs and left over roast chicken. I love the shape of casarecci pasta – the one that looks like two pieces of hollow spaghetti twisted together. I always buy pasta made in Italy as well, as the structure seems to be better than other pastas. Last night’s dinner was loosely based on a Natalia Schamroth recipe from Cuisine, but for me was something quick to make after a long day and also used up some leftovers from the fridge. I made a very quick olive paste from kalamata olives, capers, lemon zest, anchovies and extra virgin olive oil (evo) whizzed together in my mini prep, and stirred that through the pasta with chopped leftover roast chicken (free range of course!), baby spinach leaves, basil, parsley and more chopped olives, evo and lemon zest. Very tasty and very fast!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sorry i was just wondering if you could give the recipe ingredient amounts for your mums chocolate fudge slice thanks anne