Tuesday, September 25, 2007

100 x 50 cupcakes


My good friend, Teresa, turned 50 in the weekend and had a big party to celebrate. Nearly 100 people gathered in a bar in the viaduct. I had volunteered to make the cake and made 100 chocolate cup cakes, iced with chocolate ganache and piped with pink coloured chocolate. My icing attempts are a bit wobbly, but on mass they looked pretty good. I used a chocolate cake recipe from the City Cake Company Book – it is a fairly basic chocolate cake recipe using cocoa rather than chocolate, but it keeps really well and is easy to mix together when making 100 cup cakes!

Easy chocolate cup cake recipe

100g butter
180g sugar
2 eggs
30g cocoa
120g flour
2 tsp baking powder
100ml warm milk

- cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy; add eggs, one at a time
- add dry ingredients and milk and stir together
- spoon into cup cake cases and bake at 180deg for 18-20 minutes

I iced mine with a simple ganache – I use a ratio of 3:2 chocolate to cream rather than 1:1 as many recipes say – I always find that a bit runny for icing.

No comments: