Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Cake Decorating


I am currently doing course 4 of the Wilton cake decorating courses – this course focuses on fondant and gumpaste. To be honest it probably isn’t worth doing – well, that’s not quite right. The four lessons could quite easily be condensed down into two lessons. I actually had to miss a lesson last week as well as we were away on holiday.

Gum paste is like a much more expensive (4 time the price) version of fondant. The advantage it has over fondant is that it sets hard. Whereas fondant doesn’t completely dry hard. It is used to make flowers such as the carnations and daisies we were taught in the class. This little cake is a banana cake and is quite simply decorated with green and white stripes and whit daisies. We were meant to be doing a cake with a shawl thing on it. Well, I cannot imagine a situation where I would put a shawl of fondant on a cake, so I made my more simply decorated cake. It’s not perfect but it’s kind of cute.




I haven’t posted for ages on any week day meals we have had, mostly because the last three weeks or so have just passed by in a blur! Last night we had lovely fresh fish (terakihi). I sprinkled it with lemon zest, sea salt and pepper and drizzled it with lemon infused olive oil before roasting it at a high temperature for about 12 minutes. Just before it came out of the oven I sautéed some slivered almonds and cherry tomatoes in a little lemon infused olive oil, just until the nuts turned golden and the tomatoes started to pop out of their skins. I spooned this over the fish and served it with roast kumara, salad and home made hummus on the side. This was loosely based on a recipe in the latest Dish magazine.

6 comments:

Flourchild said...

Wow what a darling cake! I love the colors and the flowers on top are gorgeous.
I think it's great your taking a cake decorating class. I have always wanted to do that. Have fun and keep up the excellent work!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

it's really cute!

vibi said...

Beautiful Tammy! Very fresh and vibrant!

Morven said...

Well done. The flowers are adorable.

Dinner sounds delish - I must try those tomatoes now that they are getting more affordable.

TeaLady said...

That is a beautiful cake. Love the stripes.

I didn't take the fondant course, but loved the other ones. So much fun...

Cakelaw said...

This is gorgeous Tammy - you are so talented at cake decorating. Your fish dish sounds pretty good too!