Tuesday, September 7, 2010

TWD - Peanutbutter Crisscrosses


This week’s TWD recipe is peanutbutter criss crosses and was chosen by jasmine of Jasmine Cuisine. This is a recipe I have been wanting to make for a while. Peanutbutter cookies, filled with salted peanuts. Yum! I made a half batch of these – I was going to make the full batch as my sister and 9 year old nephew were meant to be coming up for the weekend to visit from Christchurch, but unfortunately they were flying out on Saturday morning and the earthquake meant that they weren’t able to come. Thankfully for my family, neither my parents nor my two sisters who live there have suffered any material damage, but it has been a very scary few days.

The criss crosses on my cookies don’t really stand out, I think because I accidentally reversed the quantities of baking soda and baking powder, putting in a larger amount of baking powder than baking soda. This meant that the cookies puffed up more rather than staying flat. It made me realise how important the kind of raising agent you use is. The cookies are actually quite crispy – I imagined that they would be a bit more chewy. But they do taste delicious and I will definitely be trying the chocolate version of these as suggested by Dorie.

See what the other TWDers thought here.

14 comments:

Cakelaw said...

So glad to hear that your family in Christchurch are OK. Christchurch is a lovely place, and it's a shame that so much has been destroyed (but very glad that no-one was killed). Your cookies look delicious - I'd love to make these again using salted nuts (I bought honey roasted because they were in a smaller bag and cheaper!).

Judy said...

I'm glad to hear that you and your family are ok. I have friends living in Christchurch, and while their home was damaged, they were all fine. I'm sure daily life and work will be disrupted there for quite awhile.

Your cookies look really tasty.

Cindy said...

Glad you family is safe!
Yes, this is one good cookie.

chocolatechic said...

Great news that your family is okay.

I love these cookies.

I made a full batch and froze most of the dough balls.

Mary said...

Hmmm, I wonder if I reversed the leavening too, as mine were really crisp. I think these are great either way. Glad to hear your family is okay, and hopefully you can plan another visit (and more cookies) soon.
:)

Kimberly Johnson said...

Your cookies look yummy. Glad your family is ok!

Peggy said...

So glad you all are safe. I can see your crosses on your cookies - they look great!!! I did not add extra nuts to mine and overcooked them just a tad but they were still good.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

We should make a graph of the softness of the cookies. I think it would be all over the place.

Madam Chow said...

I am so glad that your family is safe. We had a very rare earthquake earlier this summer, and the whole house shook. Not fun.

Tia said...

i like the delicate hint of criss crosses on yours :)
My version of these is PB and J thumprints. Great job this week!

Mary said...

I am glad your family is safe...we have been following that story in the states and have you all in our thoughts now.

Anonymous said...

Mine were crisp too, but delicious! Glad that your family is OK!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

thank goodness your family is alright! i'd like to try the chocolate version, too.

Flourchild said...

Im loving your crisscrosses..they look perfect to me! I loved these cookies too.
Glad to here the family is all right!