Tuesday, September 16, 2008

TWD - Chocolate Chunkers


The TWD recipe this week was chosen by Claudia of Fool For Food and is chocolate chunkers. It has been a huge cookie month for all TWDers! I think this is the fourth cookie we have baked in the last 6 weeks, but this has to be my favourite yet! And that is saying something, as all the cookies from Dorie’s book have been fabulous!

The chocolate clunkers were really a whole heap of chocolate chunks and nuts held together with a sticky almost brownie like dough. To make the cookie you beat eggs and sugar together, add melted chocolate and butter, then a little flour and cocoa powder – just like for brownie. To the mixture you then added chunks of dark chocolate and chunks of milk chocolate (or white chocolate), chopped nuts (I used pecans) and Dorie added raisins – I hate raisins and other dried fruit, so I didn’t bother with that part (what is it with Dorie and raisins!!!! – she adds them to so many things that I think are just better left alone!).



I halved the recipe and made 12 large cookies – I so wish I had made the full recipe because these were soooooo good! These cookies had the perfect mix of crunch and chew – slightly crisp on the outer edges, but deliciously chewy and gooey in the centres! I am going to make more later in the week as my youngest sister is coming to stay and I know she will love these! I used milk chocolate as my other chocolate chunk in the cookies but I bet they would be really good with white chocolate chunks – in fact I reckon that Whittakers white chocolate with macadamias would be just perfect!

I loved these and will certainly making them again! See if the other TWDers loved them as much as by looking at the TWD blogroll here.

16 comments:

becs said...

these look and sound divine tammy...I have been having pre-wedding timeout from Dorie but after that rave review I am going to have to try these!!

Engineer Baker said...

I love the idea of macadamia nuts in these - they'd be so buttery. It's always good to find a new favorite too.

Pamela said...

I agree that macadamia's would be delightful in these! They look really scrumptious. I have a bunch in the freezer that I'm trying to ignore.

Jules Someone said...

I'm just laughing. When I read "clunkers", I thought you didn't like them. I think they're "chunkers". Regardless, they look delicious!

Tammy said...

Oh Jules, that is so funny! I have edited my post - I really thought they were called clunkers!!!

Tammy

Anonymous said...

I swear Tammy, I put on weight just reading your blog..... They look divine... Yummy...

Rigby said...

"Chocolate clunkers" indeed. They are full of lots of wonderful stuff! :)

Anonymous said...

These loook soooo good Tammy.I'm sure they wouldn't last in our house either.Probably fine for someone (like me)on WeightWatchers too !!

Cakelaw said...

These look so good!!

Anonymous said...

i agree with you - what's up with the whole chocolate and raisins thing?! i know people like it, but i just don't get it. clunker indeed.

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

We left out the raisins as well. Yours look very good!

Susan @ My Wholefood Family Essentials said...

Hi Tammy, they look and sound delish! I've passed on a blog award to you, you can pick it up at my site http://food-baby.blogspot.com :)

Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to have to buy the book, Tammy! They all look and sound so yummy. I made the oatmeal peanut chocolate chipsters and they've been a huge hit.
Stephanie X

Prudy said...

Macadamia nuts would make these unbelievable. And your ginger loaves look divine too.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I'll bet that white choc w macadamias would be terrific. What fun to find such a winner of a recipe.
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Tammy - those cookies look so delicious that I am now craving chocolate!