Monday, July 2, 2012

Double chocolate cookies




Thank you for all your lovely comments re: Hayley’s wedding cakes. I will post the recipe in another post, so keep reading! Unfortunately my blog posting has been a little more sporadic than I was hoping when I got back into it – work and home are both very busy, but bear with me, as I will try to post at least once, if not twice a week. All your comments are definitely encouraging, so please keep them coming.

I made these cookies a couple of weeks ago. I had pulled the recipe out of a Donna Hay magazine a good couple of years ago. I love chocolate dipped cookies and thought that the white contrast on the dark chocolate cookie looked particularly striking. These were really easy to make as well, basically being a melt and mix recipe, and you don’t even need to roll the dough out, just roll into a log, chill, slice and bake. You can’t get easier than that.

I tried the new cadbury melts for this recipe and they were fabulous. They are a little more expensive than the other nestle ones, but they taste like real chocolate. I particularly liked the white chocolate ones as they tasted like white chocolate rather than compound chocolate. I cant wait to try to the milk chocolate ones.

Double chocolate cookies (from Donna Hay magazine)

60g butter
100g dark chocolate
½ c brown sugar
1 c plain flour
2 tbsp cocoa, sifted
½ tsp baking powder
1 egg
200g white chocolate, melted

• Melt the butter and dark chocolate together (I do this in the microwave)
• Combine the sugar, flour, cocoa and baking powder in a large bowl, add the egg and chocolate mixture and stir to make a smooth dough.
• Turn out dough, roll into a log and wrap in gladwrap and put in the freezer for 30 minutes
• Slice into 5mm thick rounds and place on a tray and bake at 180c for 10-12 minutes
• Allow to cool and then dip half of each cookie in the melted white chocolate. Leave to set

5 comments:

Kate said...

Beautiful cookies! I love the white on dark look. Very stricking as you say. The recipe looks very do-able, plus no rolling is a bonus. I love form-into-a-log-and-cut biscuits and do as many of mine that way as I can. So much easier than rolling when you're busy and in a hurry.

Spencer said...

Looks absolutely delicious! I love cookies and I know I could eat a whole plateful of these in one go.

Lesley said...

Lovely looking biscuits and photo - looks amazing. I am delighted to see you back blogging - you have been missed!

Summer said...

Aren't they great those melts. I just used the dark chocolate ones in some choc chip cookies. Awesome...big huge chunks of chocolate!

Nadia said...

Welcome back!! Every now and then I would check your blog to see if you were blogging again - so i am delighted to read these new posts! WIll keep checking!