Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Delicious Banana Loaf




Just recently there have been a swag of beautiful new cook books published. One that I was waiting for is Boutique Baking by Peggy Porschen. I have been a fan of Peggy’s for some time, admiring her gorgeous cake decorating. This book focuses more on baking and less on decorating (although the way she presents her baked treats is just amazing!). It is a beautifully presented book, and I couldn’t wait to try some of the recipes.

I started with a less challenging recipe, this one for banana loaf. I had two bananas languishing in the fruit bowl, so a good opportunity to use them up. I’m not usually one for icing my banana loaves, but the icing in the photo in the book looked so appealing, I decided to. This recipe, as with most loaf recipes, was very easy to make. I like the fact that it had both walnuts and chocolate chips added to it. I find banana loaf a bit bland without some additions. I used some gorgeous fresh walnuts which I bought at the Hastings famers market at Easter and had stored in my freezer. Chopped finely they add some wonderful texture to the load and a lovely flavour.

The icing on the load is delicious. A cream cheese icing with the addition of some frozen banana pulp. I was a bit nervous that it may go a yucky brown colour, as mashed banana does if you don’t add something like lemon juice, but it didn’t. I wonder if that was because the banana pulp was frozen first? I used a banana which had been in the freezer for months. Often when we have a yucky looking banana in the bowl, I throw it in the freezer for future use. They are perfect for baking with.

I would definitely make this loaf again and also using the icing – it would be a delicious icing for banana cake or cupcakes. I’m looking forward to making some more things from Boutique Baking.

Also, thank you all for your lovely comments - it' the fact that people are reading my blog which is what makes me want to keep doing it. Leaving comments is the only way I know you are reading :0)

Banana Loaf (from Boutique Baking by Peggy Porschen)

100g butter
200g sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs
300g mashed bananas (I used two large bananas)
180g flour
1 tsp baking powder
60g chocolate chips
80g walnuts, chopped

• Cream butter and sugar, then add eggs, one at a time.
• Beat in the banana and then on a low speed mix in the flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Lastly stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts by hand.
• Pour into a lined loaf tin and bake at 180c for 50-60 minutes
• When cold, icing with the following icing:
100g cream cheese
100g butter
250g icing sugar
25g frozen banana (defrosted)

• Cream cream cheese and butter
• Beat in icing sugar and then banana. Continue beating until smoothe.

3 comments:

Gem said...

It's little gems like that icing addition which make some baking books stand out. Will be trying that icing out for sure!

Summer said...

The frozen banana icing sound devine

Naomi said...

Hi Tammy,
I was so happy to find that you are blogging again! I used to read your blog regularly (though admit i've never commented before) and continued to check back often to see if you had started again, and to use your previous recipes. I turned to your blog the other week as I also had some sad looking bananas in the fruit bowl. It was such a nice surprise to see you blogging again and
perfect to find this recipe! I admit I didn't ice mine, as
lovely as it looked, as my husband and I were trying to
have a 'healthier' week, but it was still lovely and moist and cooked beautifully.
I love trying out your recipes, looking at your photos and reading all about your baking. Please continue to blog!