Friday, June 25, 2010

Tan Slice - an old favourite


Tan slice is another old favourite of mine. I absolutely love caramel slice of any kind, but there is something about tan slice - you can keep eating it without it ever seeming to be too rich. As I mentioned, my youngest sister was up last weekend and she loves caramel slice as much as me. I hadn’t had a lot of time to bake for her arrival, but on Saturday morning I made tan slice as a weekend treat for us. The other thing I love about making it, is that you don’t have to ice it, so it is fast to make.
I have mentioned on my blog before that my key to tan slice is to make a lovely, thick caramel so that there is a good ratio of caramel to base, and also to slightly under cook it so that you have a gooey, soft, unctuous slice rather than one that is a bit crisp or crumbly or where the caramel flavour has disappeared and it all tastes just a bit burnt. Tan slice isn’t the most elegant looking caramel slice around, but it is great to have in the tins – if it makes it that far!!



Tan Slice
180g butter
90g sugar
½ tsp vanilla
300g flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2c chocolate chips

• Cream butter and sugar, then stir in vanilla.
• Stir in dry ingredients
• Press 2/3 of the mixture into a lined 23cm square tin, pour over the following caramel, mix the rest of the base mixture with the chocolate chips and crumble over the caramel
• Bake at 180c for 20-25 minutes

Caramel

1 x 400g tin condensed milk
100g butter
2 tbsp golden syrup

• Combine all ingredients in a small pot and heat, stirring until melted together and thickened

8 comments:

Kiwicakes said...

I cannot believe I haven't eaten tan slice. I am giving this a go tommorrow!

Zeetra said...

I am loving this Tammy. Its almost looks uncooked which I think is perfect.. that soft gooey goodness of a decent tan slice. I agree, I dont like it being crunchy.
I cant wait to try this. It look simple, the way I like it.

Kiwicakes said...

I made it today! Yummo! - this one is a keeper

Cakelaw said...

I like the sound of tan slice - as of course I love caramel.

Anonymous said...

This tan slice was divine and making my mouth water looking at the picture. Yum I am going to make some this weekend

Anonymous said...

I made this recipe and it was very good. I think I used a larger tin as my base and caramel were thinner but that did not matter.

The base is very crumbly when uncooked but once cooked it holds together very nicely.

Thanks Tammy
from Sally

{call me satch} said...

i must try tan slice the kids will love the choc chips, if you love caramel slices check out caramel crumb over at my blog, its a goody !!!

Anonymous said...

Such an amazing slice! I am very fussy person when it comes to what I've baked, but this one was a winner! I have made this so many times already and am in fact going to be making it today for my friend's birthday. It is rich and sweet and just delicious. I call it 'cookie caramel slice' - because it seems to be a combination of both! Easy to make and the end product is very attractive. Definately give this one a shot!