Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Catching up with Dorie - Granola Grabbers


Well, I am now back from 10 days in beautiful Rarotonga, where we spent the time completely relaxing in the sun (well, it was sunny probably only half of the time, but always very warm!). Holidays are odd how they come full circle – the first few days it takes a little time to un-wind, then the next few you get in the complete wound down mode and then when it’s only a couple to go, I start to think of home again and the things I want to do when I get there. And of course, after 10 days of not cooking I am keen to hit the kitchen!



While we have been away the builders have started on the garage of our new house. Before we left I made them some cookies to eat, making the granola grabbers which were one of the TWD recipes from when I was away. The cookies were great. My husband and I ate quite a few before we left! We have muesli in NZ rather than granola – I imagine granola to be a bit clumpier than our muesli, so when I went to buy the muesli for the cookies, I looked for a clumpier kind. I ended up getting some craisin muesli from the bulk bins. The cookies also have coconut, wheatgerm salted peanuts and slivered almonds in them. The recipe also called for sultanas, but as I don’t like them, I left them out.

Even though they are not the pretties of cookies, these cookies are absolutely delicious! They are crunchy but chewy and have great texture. I actually think I prefer them to chocolate chip cookies which is saying something! While I am not kidding myself that these cookies are healthy, there is enough goodness in them to make me feel a wee bit virtuous eating one of these.

7 comments:

Di said...

Sounds like your vacation was wonderful. Nice job on the cookies--they look delicious.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

You should feel virtuous - you made delicious cookies after all! And preferring them to chocolate chip cookies; well, that's saying something major!
Nancy

Prudy said...

I agree, these cookies are hearty and yummy. Your cupcakes are so pretty too. I haven't made hummingbird cake in a couple years and I'd love to try it in cupcake form.

Anonymous said...

Tammy - welcome back - you have been missed. Pleased you got some sun. Turned the computer on this am and had an ESP moment "feeling' you were back. I can imagine you itching to get into the kitchen. Did you get to eat anything gastronomously amazing in Raro? Hugs Raewyn

Deb said...

Welcome back. Isn't it such a lovely place to go? Hope you got the chance to go snorkelling. I googled granola as I am wanting to make these cookies too. I guess any kind of rolled oat muesli would do. I wonder if I could just use rolled oats instead? Just the description of the ingredients sounds scrummy and they gotta be better for your waistline than a hunk of chocolate mud cake!!

Anonymous said...

Welcome home Tammy! - I'm guessing warm rain has got to be better than cold rain! Looking forward to receiving some more of your sweet inspirations! Lynley

Judy said...

I have your blog saved in my 'favourites' now Tammy and appreciate your regular updates on the site. Welcome back, Judy