Thursday, May 22, 2008

More gifts



I have had a few wee gifts to make lately – some biscuits for a client who fixed our boardroom table and some for our WP manager’s birthday. For the client I chose pecan cinnamon cookies from a Donna Hay magazine. These are nice everyday kind of cookies. A bit like a chocolate chip cookie but with pecans instead.



They are the kind of cookies that start off in little balls and then spread to quite large cookies. They remained nice and crispy on the outside, but kind of chewy inside. I don’t think I put enough pecans in them and I also think that there could have been double the amount of cinnamon (I like quite strong flavours).



For Jacqui, I chose horse shoe shaped oat biscuits because she is right into horses. I must say though, if I hadn’t told her that they were horse shoe shaped she could have been forgiven to have thought that they were just weird shaped biscuits! My horse show making technique was not great!

The recipe for these biscuits came from the Australian Womens Weekly Book “Cookies”. They are quite a crispy biscuit with the added benefit of feeling kind of virtuous as they are made from oats. They are actually made from normal rolled oats and also rolled barley. I actually had rolled barley in the cupboard as I mix rolled barley, rolled rye and rolled spelt into my rolled oats that I eat for breakfast each morning. If you didn’t have it, you could just use more rolled oats.



Mixed Oats Horse Shoe Biscuits (from AWW Cookies)

125g butter
½ c castor sugar
1 egg
2 tbsp golden syrup
2 tbsp honey
½ c rolled oats
½ c rolled barley
2 c flour
½ tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp mixed spice
½ tsp ground cloves
½ c rolled oats, extra

· Beat butter, sugar and egg until combined
· Stir in remaining ingredients
· Sprinkle bench with extra rolled oats, and roll tbsp of dough into lengths on oats and then twist into horseshoe shapes
Bake at 180c for 20 min. cool on wire racks

1 comment:

Cakelaw said...

Both nice looking biscuits - lucky recipients!